Kitchen Tales: Chapter 6

Artichokes And Apples

Sweet Mother's Milk
The television show “The Little Rascals” started my long relationship with artichokes. I didn’t grow up eating them, because Asians just don’t eat them. On one of the episodes of the show, Alfalfa is shown diligently peeling open an artichoke, leaf by leaf, and is surprised to find inside…an apple!
Later, grocery shopping with my mother, I spotted an artichoke and shamelessly begged for it. I wasn’t a kid who begged much but this was a big deal to me. I didn’t just want it. I needed it.
“Bun, do you really know what that is?”
She stopped the carriage as I reached out towards the artichoke. I kicked my feet a little and tried to pull myself out of the carriage seat to emphasize my point.
“Mom, trust meeee, I know how to eat it!” I pleaded.
The walk home from the grocery store felt like a lifetime. Finally, we sat at the speckled linoleum kitchen table that my mother had let me pick out at a tag sale, just a week earlier. My mother patiently watched as I confidently peeled it open, leaf by leaf, just like on the show but slower and with more anticipation. I eventually peeled my way to the prickly, furry center. What? Had the apple not yet developed? Closely inspected, there was no sign of even a crab apple inside. A dud! I need another one!
Artichokes are one of my favorite vegetables nowadays. I’ll have it for lunch in a sandwich, as a side during dinner or as a healthier and funner alternative to popcorn when I’m watching a movie.
*Over many years at Miya’s, I have chopped apart thousands of pounds of artichokes to be rolled into sushi and to be served steamed with a side of my six month aged hot and frothy jalapeño dip. Why am I so into this vegetable? I can’t help but wonder…is little me still searching for that apple?
*Our jalapeño sauce, which is served with our Sweet Mother’s Milk and The Kung Fu Tuna, is made from homegrown jalapeños that have been pickled. The pickling method used is a middle eastern process that causes the steamed, salted jalapeños to slowly pickle in their own juices in a vat of olive oil for six months. The result is a pickle that is dramatically milder than vegetables that have been pickled in a vinegar solution. I got the inspiration to pickle jalapeños in this way because I fell in love with the pickled eggplant, called makdoos, at Mamoun’s Falafel Restaurant.