Reclaiming the Kwanzaa Bonanza

Dear Miya’s Sushi,
My dear friend Bernice and I had lunch yesterday in your establishment. It was Bernice’s first Miya’s experience. When she ordered the Kwanzaa Bonanza roll–which I had been telling her about ever since I first ate at Miya’s back in 2008–our server, a lovely young woman named Anna, told us that she had recently waited on a couple who, upon tasting the Kwanzaa Bonanza roll for the first time, high-fived each other. Bernice and I were pleased by this couple’s story and excited about the thought of Bernice’s having a similar experience…that is until Anna, upon further questioning, revealed that the couple from the story was white.
Shocked, appalled, and not to be outdone, Bernice and I were determined to reclaim the
Kwanzaa Bonanza roll in the name of the black people for whom it was so generously and
thoughtfully created. Therefore, it is with great pleasure that we send to you the attached
photograph, taken by our delightful and obliging waitress Anna, in which Bernice and I celebrate not only the exquisiteness that is Kwanzaa Bonanza, but also all that we love about our blackness.
Reclaiming the Kwanzaa Bonanza